In healthy, just and sustainable societies, people meet their needs through a vibrant connection with nature. Needs are met off the excess produced by healthy, in tact ecosystems, and there is no waste, as excess is returned to the system.
When these healthy connections break down, individuals must meet their needs through exploitation, and in the process, they create oppression, pollution, and chaos.
So one of our core adventures today is to invest in rebuilding these important connections to nature. As individuals, this builds a profound source of security, resilience and wealth, as we begin drawing our needs directly from healthy ecosystems instead of destructive corporations. On the societal level, rebuilding these connections is our first step in gaining freedom from supporting destructive systems we would oppose.
foraging is likely the highest return on investment activity we can engage in, and it is personally transformative as it rewrites our whole experience of nature, directly reintegrating ourselves into the ecosystem.
These adventures create a path to make foraging a permanent part of your lifestyle. As you complete each adventure, keep track on your member page! More information and support will be added to help you on your journey.
- First foraging excursion. Identify something in season and go harvest free nature food!
- Host a foraging feast. Have a whole meal based around foraged ingredients.
- Monthly foraging challenge. Go foraging once per month for a whole growing season, at least 6 months.
- weekly foraging challenge. Put something foraged on the menu every week for 6 months. This adventure lasts a whole season and requires some preparation to make it work. But if you do it, foraging will become a permanent part of your life.
- Daily foraging challenge. Our most extreme foraging adventure will completely transform the way you see food, and the world. Include something foraged on the table every day for at least 6 months.
- Foraging workshop leader, lead your local community on their own foraging adventures.
Wild Gardening, extensive gardening, or forest gardening.
As we seek to build connection to nature and repair our societal supply lines, it becomes obvious that gardening and growing food is essential. But where and how to begin?
While most gardening advice begins witha fussy vegetable garden, there is a strong consensus in the Transformative Adventures community that the highest impact, easiest and most transformative form of gardening we can do is to imitate a natural ecosystem, such as in a good forest garden.
These adventures create a path to grow your expertise with this form of gardening, which will set you on the path to being a wise gardener. As you complete each adventure, keep track on your member page! More information and support will be added to help you on your journey.
- Create your first stable guild, or first nucleus.
- Create a hedgerow, edible meadow or other form of edible ecology.
- Create a forest garden as a tapestry of guilds.
- Lead others in creating their own locally adapted stable guilds.
Holistic Intensive Gardening Adventures.
Holistic intensive gardening is intensive production of food, flowers, materials or medicines, but with tips and tricks learned from nature. It uses Fukuoka’s rules for natural gardening, so spraying, minimal tilling, and holistic management. As you complete each adventure, keep track on your member page! More information and support will be added to help you on your journey.
- Create a vegetable garden.
- Create an herb spiral.
- Grow a garden of integrated food, flowers, herbs, etc.
- create an integrated polyculture garden.
- grow a market garden for sales or trade.
Landscape Transformation Adventures
The end goal of our adventures for building connection to nature is a transformed landscape!
While othe institutions focus on a single element, wildlife, or native plants, Transfirmative Adventures recognizes that community transformation leaders of today aspire to a multi-faceted ecological landscape that is truly personally, socially and ecologically transformative. The ultimate transformative landscape will grow our independence from corporate supervillains by growing food, it will steward native plants, it will clean and sequester water, provide wildlife habitat, restore our global forest, fight climate change, and do all this without corporate petrol, poisons and machines.
Learn more about our Transformative Landscapes Initiative recognition for your project.
As you complete each accomplishment, keep track on your member page! More information and support will be added to help you on your journey.
Transformative Landscape Accomplishments:
- No spraying
- Minimal tilling
- No tilling
- Pollinator friendly
- Grows food forest home use.
- Grows 90% of fertility on site, little imported fertilizer.
- 30+ species of native plants per acre
- Has a plan to catch and store 90% of rainwater.
- Wildlife habitat integrated.
- Grows surplus food for community use, trade, and sales.
- Closed loop site with no imported materials.
- No fossil fuels.